Our young people are under so much pressure. At this time of year it ramps up even more. With exams looming, fear and anxiety can really cripple your plan to give it your best shot. Sometimes it is easier to act like we don’t care, just to keep everyone’s expectations low.
Exams can be distressing, they can make you feel anxious, stressed, and affect your sleeping and eating. Do your best to keep things in perspective, so that the pressure does not take over your life.
Don’t let exams get the better of you
Really, you deserve to give yourself the best chance you can. You may have a lot going on in your life, so let’s look at how you can support yourself during this time of extra pressure.
- Don’t compare yourself to others
- De-stress – have some chill time
- Schedule your revision, split your day into three and take a third of the day off to do something you like
- Download a breathing app onto your phone, they do work. Slow your breathing down just for 2 minutes and you will calm your mind down
- Ask for help and support to structure your studies at school, sometimes meeting regularly with a trusted teacher can make a big difference
- If you are struggling emotionally tell someone, remember you are not alone, there is no shame in being overwhelmed
- Do one thing at a time
- Be kind to yourself, being too hard on yourself can lead to more stress and less productivity
- Join a study group
- Use online study resources to boost your confidence and build some revision practice
Be kind to yourself
Exams are difficult and stressful for everyone, use these tips to stop yourself from making it harder for yourself. Whatever happens, don’t beat yourself up. Know that you did the best you could at the time.